If you’re struggling to get your workouts in during this busy time of year, we’ve got one word for you … INTENSITY! Basically, you’re trying to crank out a higher “output” but in a shorter period of time.
In a nutshell, this means training like an ATHLETE.
The good news is these workouts are actually a lot of fun. Plus, after the holidays are over, you won’t have to start over (a big problem for a lot of people!), and you WILL feel pretty good about your fitness level.
Our EL EXPRESS class is fast paced, fun and only 30 minutes. Offered Monday-Friday at 11:15 AM, these workouts combine simple bodyweight, gymnastics, and unconventional tools for a high-energy workout. Short, sweet, and super sweaty, this class is perfect for those looking to get maximal results in minimal time!
Can’t make it in for these workouts? Here are some ways to add intensity to your open gym routine:
- Add speed bursts to your run/bike/ski/row session
- Look for hills during an outside run/walk
- Make sure to include conditioning exercises – battle ropes, kettlebell swings, burpees, jump rope – between sets during your strength-training workout
Here’s a fast total-body workout we love!
“Hot for the Holidays” Express-Style Workout:
Warm up for 5-10 minutes: do some cardio, jump rope, etc. to get the blood flowing, then do some bodyweight squats, lunges, arm circles to warm up the muscles.
Go through this circuit 1-2 times, depending on the amount of time you’ve got and how you’re feeling. Perform each exercise for 20 seconds, and then rest for 10 seconds before moving to the next exercise.
- 1000m Bike Erg/800m Run (Buy In)
- 60x Kettlebell Swings(53/35)
- 50x Flutter Kick/per leg
- 40x Wall Ball (20/14)
- 30x Mountain Climber/per leg
- 20x Pull Up
- 10x Burpee
Cool down with a 1-mile walk/ruck.
Here are the 4 things to know about high-intensity, express workouts …
- Always warm up with 5-10 minutes of easier activity, so your muscles and cardiovascular system are ready to go!
- Listen to your body. If you aren’t used to intense workouts, scale up slowly.
- Let your heart rate return to normal before you hit the shower. The cool down is a vital part of your workout, so don’t cut it short.
You will be amazed at how a little extra intensity can add up to a LOT of great results. Experiment and have fun with it.
No time to get into the gym? Download our Top 10 Do Anywhere No Excuses Workouts; just $29!