Fitness and nutrition is not one size fits all. It’s easy for people to get lost in the sea of fad diets, the latest fitness trends and conflicting data that surrounds us all. Don’t even get us started on Instagram influencers… But, it’s honestly not that complicated. In honor of our upcoming tenth year anniversary, here are 10 “rules” to answer the age-old question...what do I need to do to get healthier?
- Move Well, Move Often. We believe this to be the foundation of everyone’s fitness journey - daily movement. We recommend that you move for at least 30 minutes per day, and a few times a week go for a little longer. No matter if you’re moving fast v. slow, with heavy loads v. light load, or simple v. complex movements you should always strive for proper form and full range of motion.
- Nutrition is Key. We believe that real health starts on the inside. As much as we love the occasional slice of pizza, cheeseburger or that pint of ice cream, we know that the majority of our meals should consist of lean meats, vegetables, fruits and good fats. We also know at the end of the day, calories matter when it comes to body composition and you better be drinking a ton of water!
- Work Hard. No matter if you want to get leaner, bigger, faster, or stronger...working hard is the best way to ensure your success. We recommend that 2-4 times per week you are really challenging yourself with the effort you are putting into your workouts. We want you working at a pace that’s challenging for you but also within your physical and psychological limits -- don’t overdo it!
- Recover Harder. Everyone’s needs for rest are a little different. Think of your training as a scale. The more stress we add on, the more recovery we need to balance it out. The bottom line is that you should listen to your body and take appropriate rest or active recovery when you need it.
- Variety is the Spice of Health Too. We’re not big fans of single-sport athletes for overall health. We believe that you need to lift heavy weights, develop your cardiovascular endurance and be able to handle your bodyweight if you want a better quality of life. A singular focus ignores important aspects of overall health and opens you up to risk of injury.
- Have Fun! Whatever you do, do it with a smile on your face! Your fitness should always have an element of fun to it...even when the going gets tough. Of course, some workouts will be harder than others but we should learn to embrace and appreciate the struggle in those moments. Train your body and mind to welcome the adversity with open arms and look at each bump in the road as a fun, new challenge.
- You Do You. Your fitness journey is your fitness journey. It’s not anyone else’s, and it’s not a competition with anyone else. The only person you need to worry about is you. Your workouts, your mindset, your results...you do you!
- Warm Up and Cooldown Properly. There’s no faster way to injure yourself than to not properly warm up before your workout. Not only will a proper warmup help prevent injury during a workout...it will also increase performance! After a workout, utilize a cooldown to jumpstart the recovery process. The ultimate goal of the cooldown is to down-regulate and return to homeostasis. You’ll thank us tomorrow!
- Get Outside. Your fitness journey should include some time spent interacting with nature. It’s why we encourage our athletes to get out on the trails for a run or ruck and be an active participant in this amazing world. Enhance your fitness by taking yourselves outdoors and experiencing the elements. Sunny days are great to move things outside but don’t forget to play in the rain or snow now and then!
- Don't Go Overboard! Perhaps the rule to rule them all. Take your fitness seriously and work hard; however, don’t become too wrapped up in it. Fitness can and should be a major part of your life but create a boundary for yourself. There’s a difference between commitment and lifestyle vs. obsession and compulsion. Be on the lifestyle side of the equation.
We want everyone to start thinking about health and fitness in a way that doesn’t feel overwhelming. But listen up...simple doesn’t mean easy. Your success is dependent upon YOUR consistency and commitment. Still need help? Our team of world-class coaches are standing by to help you reach your wellness goals. Schedule a free intro consultation by clicking the link below.